Youth Team Challenge
2013 sees the introduction of a Youth Team Challenge to Cork City Marathon.
Who can enter?
Teams of five students from Second Level schools and Youthreach Centres can participate by running and/or walking the 26.2-mile marathon course, each team member participating in ONE relay leg. The Youth team Challenge is not a race, but an opportunity for young people (who must be over 16 on the day of the marathon) to develop their physical fitness and participate as a team.
How does it work?
The first participant from each team starts the marathon and completes his/her leg before handing over to a team-mate at the relay changeover points. Teams will be issued with a team wristband in their team pack at registration. The wristband must be handed over to their team mate at each changeover point.
The distance between each changeover point ranges from just over 4.5 miles (7.2km) to just over 5.8 miles (9.3km). Details of the relay changeover points can be found here.
Shuttle buses will operate on race day to carry participants to the changeover points.
Timing chips will be used for all Cork City Marathon events and the finishing member of each Youth Challenge team should wear the timing chip.
Youth Challenge Prizes
As the Youth Team Challenge is not a race, a draw of all completing Youth Challenge teams will be held after the end of the Cork City Marathon 2013, with prizes being awarded from the draw. The prizes will include:
- iPad’s (5 team members plus the Challenge Leader)
- iPod Nano’s (5 team members plus the Challenge Leader)
- iPod shuffle (5 team members plus the Challenge Leader)
A team may only be drawn for one prize.
Rules and Regulations
In addition to the standard race rules, there are a few additional regulations that apply:
- Youth Challenge Participants must be 16 years of age or over on 3rd June 2013.
- Participants and a parent/guardian must sign the Personal declaration form which must accompany the entry form.
- The closing date for entries is Friday 10 May 2013.
- Entries for the Youth Challenge will only be accepted in hardcopy format.
- Each entry form must be accompanied by the appropriate fee.
- Once an entry has been confirmed, no refund will be made.
- When we process your entry, we'll post you out a confirmation of entry form. Please keep the form safe and bring it with you to registration.
- At least one member of each Youth Challenge team must register at Cork City Hall on either Saturday 1st or Sunday 2nd June 2013 to collect your timing chip, race numbers and goody bag. These cannot be posted out to you.
- It is strongly recommended that you consult your doctor if you have any doubt about your health or fitness level.
How to Enter
To register your school's or centre's interest in participating, download the School/Centre Registration Form School Notification Form (Word Doc) or School Notification Form (PDF). Complete and return to us at Cork City Marathon, City Hall, Cork.